Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Run & Recover


Today was supposed to be a long run day, instead I woke up an hour too late and could only run for 4 miles before I was literally dripping in sweat and had to take the rest of my workout indoors. Lesson learned.
Today’s Workout: 4 mile run + 4 miles on elliptical

After my workout I had a Vega Recovery Protein drink + a banana. So here is the post where I talk about workout recovery. First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am not an expert and everyone is unique, so what works for one person may not work for another.



For me the key to workout recovery is nutrition+stretch+compression.

Nutrition: Mainly, it is really important to get equal amounts of protein and carbs in immediately after a workout. I have tried many protein powders (some barf-worthy…..and others less barf-worthy), and this Vega recovery protein is by far the best one I have come across. It taste great just mixed with water or soymilk, and also tastes great in a smoothie. There are 25 grams of protein in one 120 calorie serving. I used to feel fatigued/tired after my harder workouts for a couple of days until I switched to this protein powder. Carbs are pretty easy, I always go for a banana with my protein drink. On days where I have had a super intense workout I make sure to get enough protein throughout the rest of the day as well…..it’s still counts if it’s in the form of soy icecream, right?
(LOVE this brand of vegan icecream)


Stretch: This is pretty self-explanatory, but it really makes a difference. I definitely feel more sore/tired after workouts when I don’t stretch than when I do. I’m not saying I’m about to go do the splits or anything, but usually for running I focus on stretching my calves, quads, and hamstring. It is important to note that stretches are really most effective when held for a minimum of 30 seconds. I like to hold mine for 45, because I’m just a cool kid like that.

Compression: I am a big fan of compression gear, especially compression socks. I am obsessed with pro compression socks, they are awesome and in my experience they really do aid recovery. I definitely have noticed that I am less sore and better recovered after races and runs when I have worn my compression socks than when I haven’t. In my experience compression socks have also helped with swelling/pain from Achilles Tendonitis and other random ankle aches. One important rule when buying compression socks is to make sure to get them in super bright and annoying colors. Oh wait. That’s just something I do, nevermind ;)
Hot Pink Socks: Super attractive Compression gear

No comments:

Post a Comment