Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Consistently Inconsistent........and lunch at M Cafe!

Well today turned out to be quite a day indeed! I had some errands to run on Rodeo drive, and conveniently enough I ran said errands around lunch time......which means lunch at one of my favorite veg-friendly restaurants...M Cafe de Chaya!

Errands:
Well first of all, when I said errands I was really just trying to sound like a cool person with important things to do. I actually just went to return/exchange something at Tiffany & Co, and also obtained a new Micheal Kors watch while I was out in the world. 



Dear Tiffany & Co.,
You have lovely jewelry and you smell nice, but DAMN is your stuff pricey. If it wasn't for the fact that my mom had bought me a really nice necklace that wasn't quite my style, I would never have ventured into your shiny depths. 


There are so many other things that I would rather spend that type of money on; I ended up returning the necklace she got me, and getting TWO other necklaces that were only 1/8 the price of the one she got. Here's the cooler of the two necklaces I got, its a small, delicate seastar with a diamond in the middle. 



I've also been wanting a new watch for awhile. I wanted one a bit manlier/chunkier than my old watch, and definitely NOT with a chain link strap. I leather/faux leather straps, they just have that classic, old person look I love. I ended up buying this beauty, and I am in love. Clearly this manly watch is not too consistent with my taste for delicate jewelry, but what can I say....I'm consistently inconsistent.






The Lowdown: 
M Cafe is a macrobiotic restaurant which basically means they are vegan + they offer a few fish options. Macrobiotic, as far as I know focuses on whole grains, lean proteins, sea vegetables, regular vegetables, and overall whole foods free of eggs, dairy, and meat. However, M Cafe uses the label "Macrobiotic" very loosely, which I am thankful for; they have dishes such as Carolina Style BBQ Seitan Sandwhich and the "Loaded Macro Burger" which are really just veganized comfort foods, as well as more healthy, light options light a Macro Meal or a Bento Box

Where we went:
We dined at the Beverly Hills Location, but there is also the original location in West Hollywood on Melrose. I actually like the West Hollywood location better because they have daily and weekly specials, and a sunnier atmosphere, but some M Cafe is better than no M Cafe. The Beverly Hills location is still nice, and the food is just as great, they just never have daily or weekly specials. 

What we got:

The M Chopped Salad, which has a whole bunch of Stuff. Here is their menu description: "hearts of romaine & mixed greens, avocado, cucumber, chickpeas, herb-baked tofu, scallions, umeboshi pickled radishes, carrots, beets, tamari-roasted almonds, crumbled tempeh“bacon” & tofu-peppercorn ranch dressing." I subbed extra garbanzos for the avocado.....and had myself a salad party! I've had this salad before, and I loved it just as much as the previous times! The Tempeh bacon and tofu-peppercorn ranch dressing are definitely the superstars of this salad.

This is the Spring Seaweed Salad. We got it as a side and it was YUM! I don't know what it is, but I LOVE seaweed.....maybe in another life I was a mermaid......or more likely a measly piece of plankton; either way, I love me some sea veggies. This salad was great because it also had chopped up green apples, celery, and a whole bunch of other yummy stuff, and a great dressing!




My mom got the "Loaded" Macro Burger, it kinda reminded me of a super-healthy big mac....in the best way possible? It was their Macro Burger topped with "Cheese," Tempeh Bacon, and a Secret Sauce. She really like it, and it looked fantastic, so I can only assume it's great........but not as great as my M Chopped! (I kid........not really though). This picture is only half of the burger; all of their sandwiches also come with a side-salad, and my mom got their famous peanut-kale salad. I have had this side salad many times before, and it is a MUST if you have never had it. I convinced my mom to get it just so I could steal some from her, she was obviously thrilled.




Oh and I almost forgot! I ordered a "Detox" juice. It  had kale, wheatgrass, parsley, cucumbers, ginger, and lemon. I have had this before, and I love it. Not only do I like the taste, but it truly does make me feel rejuvenated and cleaner after drinking it, but be forewarned, it definitely has some grassy undertones. Okay who am I kidding, it has some grassy overtones, with hints of ginger, lemon, and  parsley. I have always loved wheatgrass shots, and when I was a youngin' I actually made a goal to eat every single plant in our backyard, which I acutally accomplished, so I think I am biased in my favorable description of this drink. My mom tried it though, and she was never a huge backyard experimental eater like myself, and liked it as well......so I guess that says something?


The lesson of the day is two-fold: M Cafe Rocks....and I should give up my daytime job and take up experimental backyard eating, it's hard job.....but someone has to do it (don't get the joke? Re-read my Detox juice description).
......not really I guess......

No comments:

Post a Comment