Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life Updates and Running Buddies

Update on my life: So I haven't posted at all this week; it's not that I haven't been doing anything worth writing about, but I simply just haven't had the time to write about it! Somehow the combination of work, running, random errands, preparing family meals, and social activities (okay, okay, and watching the Real Housewives of Miami Reunion Part 3) has just sucked every last second out of my days this past week. However, I promise I am still alive and cooking up new recipes and going on new running adventures which I will write about soon. I'm going to try to make a more concerted effort to write some truly useful posts this week. Things to look forward to:
- Chinese Broccoli-"Beef" Recipe
- Major Life Decision (aka a decision about my future)
- Chocolate Heath Bar Layer Cake Recipe
- Running posts
- Random......just lots of random

Just Keep Swimming Running....

Running Lately: So running lately has been good. It's just that I feel like I haven't been doing anything that exciting or pushing the pace that much. I've gotten lazy about speed specific workouts so instead of continuing to get faster I am just stuck at the same pace (8:30-ish). I also have been running the same loop by my house 2 out of the 3 days that I go on longer runs per week. HOWEVER, there are two pretty exciting things that have happened running-wise in the past couple of weeks:
1) My Dad and I have decided to do our Sunday long runs by the ocean in Santa Monica, which has been awesome. It's so nice to run a route rather than a loop, especially when it's for 14 miles or so.
2) During my run today, I met someone on my run (another runner) who runs slightly faster than me about halfway through my run. We started talking and ended up finishing my whole run together. Running with him and talking with him were both awesome, and running with him really made me push myself a little instead of taking it easy, and I ended up running 13.5 miles in 1hour 57 minutes. It wasn't super hard, but it wasn't easy either, and if hadn't been for such a great impromptu running partner it definitely wouldn't have happened. We had good conversation and a great workout; it was a great start to my day!

Running Buddies: My experience earlier this morning brings me to an important topic, that of running buddies. Some people only run if they are running with other people, and others absolutely hate running with others, and yet others fall somewhere in between. I myself am an in-betweener; I love myself a good running buddy, but at the same time, there are some days where I really need/want to go on a solo run. I used to be the type of person who refused to run with other people, but that was only because I had never tried it. Let me tell you what I like about running with people (occasionally):
- Pushing the Pace: It is likely that your running buddy isn't the exact same speed as you, and it is really awesome if you have a running buddy that is slightly faster than you so that it pushes you to keep up with them during a run.....hence making you faster.
- Two Activities at Once: I know this sounds silly, but a lot of people are so busy that they may have to choose between a meeting up with a friend for coffee or going on a run. However, if one of your friends happens to be a runner, then you two can run together and catch up on each others' thoughts on the latest episode of Real Housewives of Orange County....or you know, adult things.
- Safety: It is always safer to go on a run with a buddy than by yourself. This is especially true if you are running at night, early in the morning, on a secluded/low traffic route, or running through a questionable neighborhood. Be each others' body guards, it's awesome!
- Keeps you Accountable: Sometimes, I am so tired, both physically and mentally from the day, that it is tempting to skip a run. I know many people face this dilemma during the work week. However, if you have already made plans to run with a buddy, you are much less likely to skip your run than if you were going to run solo.
- Fun Runs: In somewhat the same vein as the previous point, running with a buddy is also just fun. I personally feel as though running with someone makes the run go by faster and easier, and it is also just fun to be social while out on a run.

And, that's all I have to say for today. Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment