Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summertime Salads: Fresh Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dressing

Scene from the Farmer's Market
I know most people like having hearty stews, mashed potatoes, and heavy casserole dishes during the summer, but I'm going to break away from the expected and post a summer salad recipe! I know, I'm probably the first person to think of this.....don't worry, my IQ is off the charts, so it'll probably work out.
Inspiration: Corn is cheap and in season, tomatoes are cheap and in season, and there are avocados growing on some giant green thing in my backyard (aka FREE and in season). I picked up some organic corn cobs and pear tomatoes from the farmers market, and they were cheaper than they are at TJ's which is a miracle. I love buying produce when it's in season, because especially with corn and tomatoes, you can totally taste the difference between in season and out of season.
Nutrition Note: This salad is light, but far from insubstantial. The fresh corn, tomatoes, and avocado all have a lot of fiber, antioxidants, and protein. HOWEVER, this salad does not contain a complete protein; I would recommend serving this salad alongside a bean/legume based dish such as these Edamame-Chickpea Burgers, or just a simple side of garbanzo, lima, or white beans with some dressing/sauce. All exciting stuff.

Recipe Time: Fresh Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dressing
(This recipe makes a lot of salad, because when I make it we have it as our main dish and usually have some sort of bean dish on the side. You can easily halve all of the ingredients if you want to have is as a side dish)
Ingredients:
Ready to be eaten :)
- 4 cobs of corn, steamed and kernels cut off of cob
- 3 cups halved/quartered pear or cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 avocados, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional, I usually don't use this but I know some people like an oilier dressing)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
Directions:
1. Mix the corn, tomatoes, red onion, and avocado in a large bowl.
2. Mix all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl to make the dressing.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad, mix well, and taste. If you like your salad a little saltier, add a little salt at a time (mixing after each addition) until it reaches your desired level of saltiness.
4. Chill & serve.
5. Email me and tell me I'm awesome. (Just kidding.....well maybe not. Lets just say this step is optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment