Ewwww grossss.........I fell like every summer, there comes a point where I just feel, tired, hot, sweaty, gross, and burnt out. I think it's mostly a mental thing, but it happens to me at some point each summer. I was in this disgusting funk a few days ago, and I was so annoyed by my own negative nancy ways that I decided to put my foot down. I decided that I needed to "refresh" myself......if you're going to ask me exactly what that means, I don't know, but it sounds like the feeling I was going for. Whenever I get into those weird funks, there are a few things that work for me.
Refreshing Ideas/Tips:1) Be a Lemon! Well, more like juice a fresh lemon, and add this juice to some ice water. Mix a little agave nectar in and sip on it. Super easy, super refreshing!
2) Walk it off! Take a walk, it doesn't have to be long or strenuous, but get outside, DON'T put your headphones in, and just take a walk where you appreciate everything around you.
3) Catch a flick! Go see a movie or watch a movie at home........by yourself! I know this sounds wierd, but it's totally awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies with my friends, but sometimes it's nice to go see a movie on a whim or pop in any DVD you want, and NOT have to worry about planning/coordinating with someone else or choosing a movie together.
4) Run for it! Go for a run. Similar to the walk, it doesn't have to be strenuous or long, but just getting out in the world and running for a bit can be super refreshing.
5) Read! It can be anything from going and buying a new book or magazine, or re-reading your favorite book that you haven't read in years. I am currently re-reading my favorite book of all time: East of Eden, and I love it more every time I read it.
6) Make this now! Make this Refreshing Summer C & C Salad recipe I am about to share with you!
Summer C & C (corn & cucumber) salad
|The Dressing after being "processed"|
2 lbs persian cucumbers
3-4 cobs of summer corn
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion (optional)
- 2 tbs tahini
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbs water
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of chopped, fresh dill
1) Remove the husks from the corn and steam them whole for about 15 minutes.
2) Remove corn from the steamer and let cool.
|The final product!|
4) Once the corn is not hot, cut off as much of the kernels as you can, leaving only the bare, inedible cob. Throw away the cobs.
5) In a large bowl mix together the corn, cucumber, and red onion if you choose to include this and then set the bowl aside.
6) In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients until relatively homogenous. I actually like to run my dressing through the food processor so that the dill gets chopped up really fine, and the tahini mixes really well.
7) Salt the dressing to taste, then pour over the salad, mix, and serve!