The Inspiration: One of my embarrassing secrets is how much I love cornbread. I honestly wish I could just eat it all day, everyday. I was strolling through the aisles of my local Whole Foods, and saw a delicious looking cornbread earlier today; sadly but not surprisingly it was not vegan and also had tons of not-so-healthy ingredients. Since it is pretty hard to find good, vegan cornbread made with healthy ingredients in most stores I thought I should try making some on my own.
|Almost all of the ingreedz|
- 3/4 cup whole grain cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all purpose wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw turbinado sugar**See alternative options at end of post**
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk (or any other non-dairymilk)
- 1 egg equivalent (I used the Vegg but a flax egg or Ener-G egg replacer should work fine)
- 2/3 cup fresh corn kernels (optional)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl mix together all the dry ingredients (cornmeal, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar)
3) In a small bowl mix together the wet ingredients (applesauce, soymilk, and egg equivalent)
|Ready to go into the oven!|
5) If adding in fresh corn, mix it in at this time.
6) Line a muffin tin with muffin sheets or lightly oil the tin. Fill each muffin space until about 3/4 full.
7) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and let cool.
9) EAT YOUR MUFFINSSSS
|Cornbread Muffins.....ready to eat!|
The turbinado sugar can also be replaced with 1/4 agave nectar or honey, you just need to reduce the applesauce to 1/4 a cup and incorporate the nectar or honey into the "wet" mixture. Another option is to replace the sugar with 1 tsp stevia powder, and increase the applesauce to 2/3 of a cup.